Robert E. Peary Middle School  Logo
Mission and Vision Peary History Principal's Message
GATE Transportation AVID
Faculty & Staff Directory Faculty and Staff Recognition
Bell Schedule Testing Parents Health Office Cafeteria School Policies School Wide Positive Behavior Intervention and Support This Week at Peary Restorative Justice Safety
Math and Science Magnet
Events Leadership

Peary History

Peary History

Until the Spring of 1956, Robert E. Peary Middle School was part of a six-year school known as Gardena High. At that time, we were the third oldest school in the Los Angeles Unified School District. 

Due to crowded conditions, we were on double-day sessions with senior high classes in the morning and junior high classes in the afternoon.

With two separate administrations governing the school, problems were held to a minimum and were finally eased with the building of a separate senior high school.

Continuous landscaping of the grounds, construction of new buildings, and modernization of the old are helping to make Peary one of the largest and most beautiful middle schools in the district.

Peary Middle School's overpass connects the north and south campuses so that students and teachers can access both sides without crossing the street.